Citizens of Birmingham can dispose of waste at either City landfill free of charge. Landfill permits for commercial and non-resident use may be obtained from the Southside District Office.

Acceptable materials

  • Household plastic containers
  • Aluminum cans
  • Steel cans (canned food)
  • Newspaper
  • Cardboard (flattened)
  • Mixed paper: junk mail
  • Telephone directories
  • Catalogs
  • Magazines
  • Office paper (shredded too)
  • Textbooks

Official recycling bin: Please call 311 for recycling bins (allow 5 work days for delivery).

We also accept recyclables placed in brown paper bags. (No plastic bags please).

Public Works Hours of Operation:

Offices: 7 a.m.-3p.m. Monday-Friday

Landfills: 7 a.m.-3p.m. Monday-Friday, Saturday 7 a.m.-12:00 p.m.

Night Shift: 8 p.m.-4a.m. Monday-Saturday

After Hours and Emergencies: 205-254-6344
Eastern District
307 96th St. North

Ensley/Western District
1044 Avenue W

Northern District
2413 27th St. North

Southside District
501 6th Ave. South

Applicable Fees

The City charges a fee, dependent upon whether a business is located within City limits, for solid waste disposal and asbestos removal services, as well as to restore asphalt pavements, sidewalks, curbs and gutters that have been destroyed by private construction. Birmingham also charges a fee to remove dead animals from private property.

Helpful Hints and Notes

  • Bag clippings and yard clippings for faster and cleaner service.
  • Plastic trash cans are preferred over cans and plastic containers.
  • Refuse should be set out between the hours of 6 p.m. and 6 a.m.
  • Mosquito larvicide pellets for standing water may be obtained from the appropriate.
  • Requests for street, storm sewer and sanitary sewer improvements should be made through the neighborhood officer(s).
  • The City will not haul building material or trees cut down by private contractors.
  • Medical waste, sharp objects, body fluids, etc., should be properly disposed of in a safe and sanitary manner. Please contact the Jefferson County Health Department (205-930-1290 for additional information.
  • Citizens are welcome to leave their recyclables, (Number 1 ; 2 plastics, aluminum and steel cans and old newspapers), debris and refuse on the collection trucks at any of the district offices.

Sign In


Reset Password

Please enter your username or email address, you will receive a link to create a new password via email.


An active membership is required for this action, please click on the button below to view the available plans.