Johnson County residents can safely dispose of their old or unwanted paint, stain, yard chemicals and other household hazardous waste by appointment only at the Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste facility. Recycled latex paint is available for purchase through the Re-Blended paint program, and residents can also find usable items in the Free Store.

Accepted Items

What is household hazardous waste?


If a product’s label has any of these signal words, then the product has ingredients that contain one or more of the following hazardous characteristics: corrosive, reactive, toxic, flammable or explosive. If not safely stored, used or disposed, the product can present hazards to you and your environment. A full list of materials that we accept is listed below.

Items No Longer Accepted

Due to issues with disposing of these items we are NOT accepting the following items:

  • Compressed gas cylinders- except those listed on the accepted list below
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Large Freon cylinders (empty cylinders will still be accepted)
  • Tires- can go to ABC Tire Recycling, check with tire shops like Discount, charges may apply

If you have questions about these items please call 913-715-6907.

Additional recycling options for these items can be found at or MRC Recycling.

Common Materials Accepted

  • Adhesives
  • Aerosols
  • Arts and crafts materials
  • Automotive fluids i.e. brake fluid, antifreeze, etc. (Do not bulk fluids together) 
  • Batteries (lead-acid, rechargeable, alkaline)
  • Cleaning products
  • Cooking oil
  • Fluorescent light bulbs and tubes (Pack separate from other items to avoid breaking)
  • Gasoline (Do not mix with other automotive fluids other than two-cycle oil)
  • Lawn and garden chemicals 
  • Motor oil – limit five gallons per month (NO TRANSFORMER OIL)
  • Oxygen, helium, carbon dioxide, and propane tanks/cylinders
  • Paint (latex and oil based)
  • Photo chemicals
  • Pool chemicals 
  • Solvents, i.e. paint thinner, acetone, kerosene
  • Wood preservatives
  • 1-3 lb. propane cylinders

For Items Not on the Accepted List

If you don’t see an item on the approved list, then it is probably not accepted at our facility. Other recycling and disposal options can be found at RecycleSpot.


Monday, Wednesday, Thursday from 8 a.m.–3:30 p.m. (closed for lunch noon-1 p.m.) This is for all drop-off appointments, free store and purchasing paint.

Important things to note:

  • Free Store and buying paint park in front of the building.
  • No appointment is needed for free store or purchasing paint during regular listed hours.
  • Gates will not be opened until 8 a.m.
  • Mobile pickup is available to home-bound residents. Call 913-715-6907 for more information.

The new Household Hazardous Waste facility is located at 11231 Mastin Street, Overland Park, Kansas 66210.

We are located east of 69 Highway and College Boulevard. Drop-offs are by appointment only.

Parking Instructions
  • Going to the Free Store or buying paint, please park in the front of the building. 
  • Dropping off you will enter through the gate
Changes to accepted items

Due to issues with disposing of these items we are no longer be accepting the following items:

  • Compressed gas cylinders other than those listed on the Accepted Items list
  • Fire Extinguishers
  • Large Freon cylinders (empty cylinders will still be accepted)
  • Tires- can go to ABC Tire recycling, check with tire shops like Discount Tire, charges may apply

Complete list of Accepted Items 

If you have questions please call 913-715-6907.

You can find additional recycling options for these items at or MRC Recycling.

Olathe Location

The City of Olathe operates a collection facility that currently accepts items from all Johnson County residents. This may be a more convenient option if you live in southern Johnson County. Go to City of Olathe Household Hazardous Collection Facility to learn more. Several other surrounding counties offer Household Hazardous Waste collection. RecycleSpot has information on other area programs.

Electronic Recycling

The Johnson County Household Hazardous Waste facility doesn’t accept electronics. There are several options for recycling electronics – anything with a cord or batteries. Charges may apply for certain items. Recycling options can be found on our electronic recycling page.

Sign In


Reset Password

Please enter your username or email address, you will receive a link to create a new password via email.


An active membership is required for this action, please click on the button below to view the available plans.